Mama B. Blog

Random musings from Mama B, mother of three. All sorts of useful and useless information for ANYONE interested in whatever strikes my fancy - from art to parenting issues to celebrity gossip etc. Check in to MamaB Blog every day for multiple updates. It's never dull here!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Father's Day is coming up...June 18!

What are you getting your dad/husband/grandpa this Father's day?

Father's day comes every year and every year it seems even harder to think up a gift that is not a throw away. My dad plays golf, so I usually think about some kind of golf treasure for him. My husband plays tennis and loves clothing. My husbnad's father pretty much returns most of the gifts we get him, so he usually gets a shirt (that will be returned). I never met my grandpas, but my kids have to give their Papas something too. So, this is a busy holiday for me (the gift gettter)! Men have it easy, if they can't figure something out, they always have flowers to fall back on. What do we have? A mug? Not. A book? Weak.

So, For anyone who needs some ideas, here are a few...

Redenvelope.com always has some great wine openers, frames, plants, office gadgets and easy but thoughtful gifts.
Sharperimage.com or Brookstone always have good electronics, golf tricks, massagers and nose hair trimmers :)
Giftcertificates.com is great for the "returner" who likes a certain store, but also wants to choose whatever it is they will get.
A gift certificate for Home Depot can be a great gift for some men, while a gift certificate to Saks could be great for another.

Recently, when asked about a good gift for a man, my husband (who is a great gift giver) replied, "monogrammed handkerchiefs, cuff links, a John Varvatos canvas and leather weekend bag, nice pajamas or stationary". Pretty good ideas, right?! If you are feeling a little bit selfish, you can always go for the weekend getaway (just the two of you) or a gift certificate to a nice dinner. But, don't be offended if he decides to take his buddy, Ralph instead of you (unless he takes Ralph to the romantic weekend getaway, then you should worry).

All in all, it really is the thought that matters. I have given my husband many journals of every shape, size and material, trying to give him the gift of introspection, but the journals ended up in a closet ...or the garbage, come to think of it, I haven't seen them in a while. Hmmmm... Maybe I'll have to figure something else out this year. My dad has recieved everything from handmade ceramic bowls to ties to a painting of his legs and he said he loved everyone of them! ;) As they say, it is the thought that counts.

Just make sure you give him a great card telling him how good looking, fun, smart, helpful, thoughtful... (it's okay to lie a little ;) Just make it sound like he is the best father in the world, and you will be all set!

Good luck!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the great suggestions.....I had no ideas!!!!!!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home