Mama B. Blog

Random musings from Mama B, mother of three. All sorts of useful and useless information for ANYONE interested in whatever strikes my fancy - from art to parenting issues to celebrity gossip etc. Check in to MamaB Blog every day for multiple updates. It's never dull here!

Monday, June 26, 2006

A Sad Day in The Household

I would like to request that everyone bow their heads in silence for a moment in honor of my 4 year old daughter's Japanese Fighting fish who passed sometime today. He didn't have a name, but he was part of our family for over a year. I found him floating at the bottom of the bowl (which leads me to believe that he was gone for quite a while). I contemplated whether or not my daughter needed to see the fish in his bloated state. Should I tell her that he died later or let her be a part of the process? Would it matter to her?
Well, considering this four year old and her passion for everything in life, she needed to know, immediately. At that moment, she happened by. "Why is my fish's bowl in the middle of the table?" she said, pushing the bowl back to its usual spot. "Honey, your fish isn't swimming anymore.", I replied. "The other fish is swimming though", she whimpered. "I know, honey. Your fish died." Sobs, screams and tears exploded. When the storm subsided, we discussed flushing versus burying. But, after some thought, she decided that the fish needed to be flushed, so he could go back to the ocean.
We took the bowl to a very specific toilet (not the one that the kids usually use) and began to pour the water from the fish bowl down the toilet.
When the fish's stiff body flowed over the edge of the bowl and flopped motionless into the toilet, my daughter lost it. Poor thing. It was as if the fish was one of her siblings and we were watching the dirt being cast onto it's coffin. Here was the fish that she had watched everyday as she ate breakfast. Watching it watch her. Feeding it. Touching the outside of the bowl to somehow connect with the fish. And it was gone.
I collected her distraught body and carried her to my bed where she requested to be brought. I laid her down and put her special blanket over her. Then, I wiped her tears away.
I asked her as her whimpers faded away, "Should we say a prayer for your fishy?" She looked at me with a blank stare and said, "Why? He's in the ocean."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next Stop...Ponyland

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home